*Lest we Forget*
By
COLONEL HARJINDER SINGH, SM
While we celebrate birth anniversary of Father of Nation today, let's remember two fallen brave officers of Indian Army who laid down their life 19 years back on this day.
*Maj Raghu Raman, Ashok Chakra & Maj KP Vinay , Kirti Chakra of 34RR (JAT)* were truly patriotic officers. I learned many tricks of Counter Insurgency Operations from them. It was Maj KP Vinay, who broke the news of contact which our unit 34 RR(JAT) had established with freshly infiltrated Pakistani terrorists. Vinay was directed to take stock of Battalion Headquarters since he was Adjutant and get Quick Reaction Teams mobilized. He insisted on leading one of the Ghataks, which he finally did. While he was moving to operational area, we mobilised Maj Raghu Raman enroute as per our plan. Both were about 30 minutes ahead of me enroute to place of contact. When I reached the location, first information was that both were shot while fighting and leading their men from front.
All hell had broken loose thereafter since terrorists were not letting bodies of both officers to be retrieved. After great difficulty we could get them out, in bargain two more boys got injured. KP was dead by the time he came in my arms. However, Raghu had a single bullet injury. We spoke at length and he gave me the actual state of situation.
JATs were down but up and furious. It took almost an hour to get firing stopped. Another hour or two to readjust. Now my team leaders, one who had joined from BB Cantt (Srinagar) after listening to news on TV, were sure and ready to settle score.
By now it was evening. Boys were mobilized to get patromax from neighbouring villages and generator from Battalion Headquarters. I, for sure knew that actual action would be at night since terrorists would like to break out in hours of darkness and that would checkmate them. Surely all hell broke loose at night. With single tube of 81 Mortors, we kept the target illuminated, firing almost 450 rounds, unbelievable to many. At mid night 3 to 4 desperate attempts were made to break cordon. However, JATs played well displaying valour, calmness and bravery. Reports of dead bodies started trickling. I kept my fingers crossed hoping and praying, none were civilian .
Around 3 am one of the terrorist broke our cordon. A cool and calm officer, who latter commanded 34RR followed him risking his life under Mortor illumination and knocked him down in maize field. Yes, you heard it right, in maize field at night.
At first light there was total mayhem since every staff offr wanted to know number of kills. Since I had not physically seen bodies, I refused to commit on count. GOC was on line and wanted figures but couldn't get any. By 7 am, Army Cdr was on set. He said he was mobilising Para SF. I reasoned out with him that I had lost two officers and it was our responsibility to settle score. I assured him that he will not be let down and he needed to give us time. He agreed and wished me well.
By 3 in afternoon, when I gave my first report that we had 9 dead bodies of terrorists, all Pakistanis, no one believed. Corps Cdr who had retired for the day asked for a chopper and was with us in no time. When I received him he again asked if I was sure of my count. In evening Army Cdr was on line. His words '' I am proud of your unit, since you have lived up to your commitment, well done".
Immediately after the operation, I got my officers together and asked about their recommendations for their comrades. In true spirit of Olive Greens, they agreed that highest respect be given to the fallen soldiers for valour, raw courage, for going beyond the call of duty and laying their life in the service of Nation. Had they not rushed in and pinned them down, all Nine terrorists would have got away.
*Rest in Peace, Raghu Raman & KP Vinay. Till date you inspire us. You are the legends and brightest stars up in the sky. Keep shining as ever till we meet and raise a toast together.*